This chapter explains the permissions required by Sleep as Android in detail. Please note that in general we do not collect any personal information unless you explicitly decide to give them to us for example by sending a debug report.
NOTE: Permission names listed here may differ from the user-readable permission names seen in the Play Store upon installation
We use approximate location (network-based) to implement some of the cool location based features:
- wake up with sunrise
- location tagging
- morning weather
We gather coarse location data and make them even more coarse to +/- 5 km. You can completely opt-out from location storing in Settings > Miscellaneous.
- NFC – used for the NFC CAPTCHA to make it possible to stop the alarms by scanning an NFC tag
- Bluetooth – required on some firmwares in order to be able to trigger automatic airplane mode
- Internet access – to be able to share your sleep graphs on Facebook and Twitter, but only in case you decide to.
Your personal information
- Read sensitive log data – this permission is used to debug errors in the application or interference with other apps, you always have to agree to send the logs to us with an email, we do never send such data without your knowledge. Also note that this permission is no more active on Android 4.2+ where remote debugging of complex problems is nearly impossible – thank you Android team!
Your applications’ information
- Retrieve running apps – we use this to keep the alarm dialog always on top, for that we need to find out that you switched to another activity. The reason is to make dismiss of alarm more user-friendly and to prevent some CAPTCHA avoiding techniques.
- Modify/delete SD card contents – we use this permission to export your sleep data to a CSV file on the SD card and to store noise recordings
- Introduced in 08/2015, the calendar permission allows the app to reschedule alarms according to calendar events and public holidays, if you configure it to do so
- Introduced in 08/2015, body sensors permission enables you to use heart rate trackers along with Sleep as Android
Your accounts (Contacts permission)
- Find accounts on the device – this permission is use to secure in-app purchases – please note that this permission does NOT include retrieval of any authentication information (login, password).
- We also use this permission to retrieve accounts for the Google Calendar integration (when you enable the Calendar option)
- Record audio – needed for noise stats, noise recording and snoring detection
- Take pictures and videos – this feature is only used to control the flashlight for the wake up with light feature, we never take actual pictures or videos
- Read phone state and identity – this feature is used to stop lullabies or recording when you get into a phone call.
- Bluetooth administration – required on some firmwares in order to be able to trigger automatic airplane mode
- Change Wi-Fi state – required on some firmwares in order to be able to trigger automatic airplane mode
- Disable keylock – used to disable the keylock when alarm starts
- Modify global system settings – we need to set several system settings for various features including media volume control, airplane mode and screen brightness
- Prevent phone from sleeping – without this permission we would not be able to track your sleep as the phone would get into stand-by after a while
We have recently added an option to unlock the full version of Sleep as Android via an in-app purchase. This is a straightforward permission that doesn’t allow anything else. We hope this will bring better user comfort as there is no need to download a separate app especially when migrating to a new device.